It’s 4th May so you know what that means, Star Wars day! Not that fans of the sci-fi franchise need a day to celebrate but hey, it gives you all an extra excuse to travel to a galaxy far, far away. And virtual reality (VR) continues to play an ever-growing role with new titles adding to the canon material almost every year it seems. So today, VRFocus is celebrating all things Star Wars VR-related.
This is the deal you’re looking for…
So let’s start with the deals. Like any branded day there are offers to be had and Star Wars in VR is no different, so if you’ve been holding out for a particular title then now might be a good time to pick one up. Here’s what VRFocus has found:
- Star Wars Day Pack for Oculus Quest – $59.99 USD/£46.69 GBP
- Vader Immortal: A Star Wars VR Series for PlayStation VR – $14.99
- Grab all three episodes at a 50% discount until 12th May 2021.
- Star Wars Squadrons
- Currently 50% off over on Steam, you can pick up Star Wars Squadrons for a limited time for £17.49, compatible with Valve Index, HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, and Windows Mixed Reality headsets.
- Star Wars Squadrons is also on sale via the Epic Games Store with a 40% discount of £20.99.
- Humble Bundle deals
- Now, none of these are VR-compatible videogames but there are over 30 titles with up to 75% off, so in the spirit of Star Wars they’ve been included.
The Star Wars VR games every fan should have
As mentioned, VR fans have an abundance of titles to choose from when its comes to Star Wars. Back when VR was emerging as a consumer technology with the launch of Oculus Rift and HTC Vive there were early experiments like Star Wars: Trials on Tatooine and Star Wars: Droid Repair Bay (both are still free). But the technology and gameplay has certainly moved on.
Previously location-based entertainment (LBE) solutions like Star Wars: Secrets of the Empire would’ve been worth a look but with The VOID now defunct that’s no longer a possibility. So here are VRFocus’ recommendations for enjoying Star Wars in VR at home.
- Star Wars Pinball VR – Only just released for most VR headsets last week, Zen Studios’ latest pinball mashup features 8 themed tables, a customisable fan cave, and more unlockables than you could find in the hold of the Millenium Falcon.
- Star Wars: Tales from the Galaxy’s Edge – The most recent title from ILMxLAB, Star Wars: Tales from the Galaxy’s Edge takes you to the outskirts of the Black Spire Outpost on the planet of Batuu. With the storyline set between Star Wars: The Last Jedi and Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker you end up in Seezelslak’s Cantina where you listen to his stories and go on missions. Part one is available now with part two due to arrive later this year.
- Star Wars Squadrons – An all-action videogame with single-player and multiplayer modes Star Wars Squadrons you take command of both Rebel and Imperial craft, flying X-Wing and Tie Fighters across a range of missions. In multiplayer team-based 5v5 battles take place across gameplay modes including Dogfight and Battle Fleet. If you’ve ever wanted to be in the heart of any Star Wars space battle then now’s your chance.
- Vader Immortal: A Star Wars VR Series – For pure cinematics where you actually get to face Vader and use Force powers then give Vader Immortal: A Star Wars VR Series a try. Split across three episodes explore Vader’s base on Mustafar and learn about the history and secrets of the planet, as well as your own. Then head to the Lightsaber Dojo to practice your Force powers and lightsaber skills against waves of enemies.