During the summer Japanese studio Psychic VR Lab opened up submissions for its annual NEWVIEW Awards, encouraging artists from around the world to utilise its Styly platform to create virtual or augmented reality (VR/AR) works. Over 140 entries were received with 25 selected as finalists, which are now on display.
The 2020 NEWVIEW Awards is the first time the event features AR content, thanks to the studio rolling out an update earlier this year. Out of the 145 entries received 59 were AR titles whilst 86 were VR-based, hailing from 9 countries; of which 7 AR titles and 18 VR titles made the finals.
- AR Category
- VR Category
- Birds of a Scape – toidcoder
- Contemporary – TakashiKikaku
- DEATH ETUDE – mizkun
- Displays XR – Tomoro Hanzawa
- Fumika / Piano motion capture system – Fumika
- gaze on me – Miki Nigo
- Gravitate – Ami konuma
- Inside and Outside, Virtual – JACKSON kaki
- Nether World – Mayuka Otsuki
- New reality – my studio – Akiko Nakayama
- NO.23 – Chen-Shun LEE
- SAKEA – Mao-Che Chiu
- Seed Awakening – MaruTangle
- SOS! Back to Taiwan! – SOS!
- T・R・I・P – Saki Takegawa
- TECHNOVINEGAR – 0b4k3
- The Garden of Eden – Yiming Yang
- Alien Tokyo Sightseeing – Yuhi Namai
In addition to the finalists, a new prize category has been revealed; the Sanrio Puroland Prize. Offered in conjunction with the “Digital KAWAII Award in Sanrio Puroland”, the prize will enable the winner to display their work at Sanrio Puroland’s exhibition space – also known as Hello Kitty Land. Whoever wins the Gold Prize will take home $20,000 USD whilst three Silver Prize winners will be awarded $5,000 each.
The 2020 NEWVIEW Awards will take place both digitally and physically on 17th December, with a live stream starting at 7 pm (Japan time). The exhibition will run from 12th – 20th December at SHIBUYA PARCO, with free entry.
For the latest VR/AR updates from around the world, keep reading VRFocus.