After eight months in Early Access, survival horror Into the Radius has now officially launched, providing new content, gameplay improvements and a limited time discount on Steam.
Created by CM Games, Into the Radius is set in the post-apocalyptic Pechorsk Radius Zone inside Russia. Inspired by sci-fi novel ‘Roadside Picnic’ a strange event occurred back in the 1980s creating the zone. Now in modern times, the area is managed by The United Nations Pechorsk Special Committee (UNPSC), and being a UNPSC specialist you’re one of the few allowed in.
Inside is a nightmarish expanse of desolation, where you have to watch out for ‘anomalies’ as well as shadowy entities intent on killing you. As Inside the Radius is a survival game you need to scour the landscape for useful items including food and weapons. The studio has design the mechanics to be realistic so players will have to learn how to reload weapons whilst ensuring their health and stamina don’t drop too low.
When it comes to new improvements for this version CM Games has added:
- New missions with story voice-overs and endgame
- The difficulty is decoupled from the ability to save. Now you can still switch difficulty at any time.
- For more of a challenge “Iron man” mode can be enabled at the start to allow autosaves only.
- Music and sound fx
- Improved performance
- New hand and body models with new art for holsters and pouches
- Improved Tutorial
- Vive Cosmos support
- Comfort options ( Vignetting for turn and move)
- Replaced map transition with loading screen with helpful tips
- Improved distance grip – needs less accuracy in pointing to grab
- Snap turn is not instant to reduce disorientation
- Virtual Stock can be disabled
- The game can be loaded straight from death info
- Increased Stabilization for all weapons
- 5 new weapons – AK74, AK74M, AK74-U, VSS Vintorez, AS VAL
- Pistols can be double gripped for additional stability
- Most two-handed weapons will fall out of hand if shot single-handedly
- Double-barreled shotguns are now physics-based to operate, one can just flick up to close the barrel
- Economics rebalanced (Ammo is now cheaper!)
- A new type of low priority mission
- Upon accepting a mission you have a 2-hour in-game cool down before being able to abandon to prevent mission cycling
- About the Gameplay:
- Into the Radius is a single-player survival shooter developed exclusively for premium Virtual Reality headsets.
- Players are sent stalking through the surreal post-apocalyptic Pechorsk Radius Zone where physics-based interaction, realistic weapon handling, and moody atmosphere will get your adrenaline pumping as you struggle to survive in an unforgiving dystopian environment.
Into the Radius supports most PC VR headsets including Valve Index, Windows Mixed Reality, HTC Vive, HTC Vive Cosmos and Oculus Rift as well as Oculus Quest (via-link). Available via the regular digital stores, on Steam there’s a 30% discount running until 27th July 2020. For further updates on the title, keep reading VRFocus.