Since its launch a couple of months ago Half-Life: Alyx has seen both minor and major updates to improve the virtual reality (VR) experience. Today, Valve rolled out update 1.4, adding plenty of tweaks and fixes including a fun side addition, liquid in bottles.
It’s not going to affect gameplay or suddenly make Half-Life: Alyx worth revisiting for the 20th time – the gameplay should do that – but it shows the level of detail Valve is experimenting with. From the looks of it, the effect works really well, providing a nice sloshing motion when you shake a bottle; great for hours of entertainment.
The other main additions to the update are subtitles for: Brazilian, Czech, Hungarian, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Ukrainian, Vietnamese languages; the UI appearing quicker when returning to Main Menu and improvements to addon management UI.
- Added checks for users loading a savegame with missing addons (eg. unsubscribed or deleted)
- Added error message if a game fails to load due to a missing map requested by an addon
- Various crash fixes
- Fixed bug where exiting the game by closing SteamVR could generate bad save files
- Fixed case where some explicitly specified meshes became hulls. (eg. func_shatterglass will now build in a map without having to enable legacy collision mesh.)
- Added some meshes that were missing from parked vehicle prefabs.
- Made SFM UI less Dota-specific in a few places
- Fixed missing map models (mostly combine stations) in SFM
- Fixed Import Sequence in SFM to work correctly on sequences with animated root orientation
Earlier this month Valve added Steam Workshop support to Half-Life: Alyx allowing the gaming community to begin modding the title, a firm favourite for previous editions of the franchise.
In its review of Half-Life: Alyx VRFocus said: “A stunningly rich experience from start to finish, Half-Life: Alyx is one of the best VR titles available, a perfect showcase for what VR gaming is capable of. It doesn’t exactly break new ground, instead providing familiar Half-Life gameplay all wrapped up in a highly polished VR gift bag.”
As Valve continues to enhance Half-Life: Alyx with further updates, VRFocus will let you know.