Valve Unveils New Knuckles EV3 Controllers
Improved ergonomics, battery life and much more.
Having first showcased an early prototype of its Knuckles controllers back in 2016, Valve has just released new imagery and specification details for the latest design, Kunckles EV3.
Via a Steam Blog posting Valve has released a list of updates over the previous Kunckles EV2 iteration, of which hundreds of developer kits have been sent out states the company. “EV2 was a huge leap from the previous generation with a completely new design, new inputs, and new sensors. Knuckles EV3 improves on the EV2 design with updates to input feel, strap design, battery life, and more.”
Knuckles EV3 Updates:
- – Strap adjustment markings have been added to the top plate
- – Strap rivet is thinner and no longer interferes with the wing
- – Drawstring is now shorter
- – Trigger spring is now stronger
- – Improved Trigger assembly and reliability
- System Button
- – The System button has been recessed slightly to avoid accidental presses
- Grip FSR
- – Grip FSRs (force sensors) more consistent from unit to unit
- Battery Life
- – Higher efficiency sensors increase battery life by 2 hours
- – Players can now expect 7-8 hours of playtime per charge
- – LED light mixing improved
- – USB port has been recessed, making it easier to connect the charge / data cable
- – Improved fit and finish
- – Improved reliability
Developers keen on getting hold of the Kunckles EV3 controllers will be able to do so in a couple of ways. Valve will be sending out more EV3 kits than the EV2 version, firstly by reaching out to previous EV2 recipients as well as developers who requested a previous kit. Those that have yet to request a Knuckles kit will have to wait until the EV3 form goes live, which should be soon.
Once you got your Knuckles EV3 controllers Valve has provided several developer resources to help get you started, including an updated SteamVR Knuckles Tech Demos (also referred to as Moondust). Additionally, the source files for the demo are freely available for studios to pick apart. For further updates on the Knuckles EV3 controllers keep reading VRFocus.