The Webby Awards have been giving recognition to excellence on the internet every years for over twenty years. The 22nd Annual Webby Awards featured an expanded set of categories for virtual reality (VR) and augmented reality (AR) in recognition of how much those areas have grown.
The Webby Award is presented annually by the International Academy of Digital Arts and Sciences, a body which comprises over two thousand industry experts and technology innovators.
Two winners are selected in each category, one by members of the International Academy of Digital Arts and Sciences and the other chosen by public vote.
The category winners for the AR and VR sectors of the Webby Awards were chosen for their ability to transform everyday moments into dynamic, unforgettable experiences.
- Best Use of Machine Learning (Advertising, Media & PR)
- Webby Winner: Outthink Melanoma
- People’s Voice Winner: Silicon Valley – Not Hot Dog
- Augmented Reality (Advertising, Media, & PR)
- Webby Winner: Play the City
- People’s Voice Winner: Netflix ‘Stranger Things: Facebook AR Filters’
- Best Use of Augmented Reality (Games)
- Webby & People’s Voice Winner: Star Wars: Jedi Challenges
- Best Multiplayer/Competitive Game (Games)
- Webby Winner: Overwatch
- People’s Voice Winner: Fortnite
- Best User Interface (Mobile Sites & Apps)
- Webby Winner: Delta
- People’s Voice Winner: Chipotle Mexican Grill iPhone App
- VR: Interactive, Game or Real-Time (Film & Video)
- Webby Winner: Tilt Brush
- People’s Voice Winner: Tree VR
The awards will be presented in a Red Carpet show on 14th May in New York, presented by comedian Amber Ruffin, with a video livestream available to view. Further news on the Webby Awards, including the full list of winners, can be found on the Webby Awards website.
Continued coverage on awards for VR and AR content will be here on VRFocus.