The Virtual Reality Los Angeles (VRLA) event has grown from a small meetup group to one of the biggest events focused on VR, augmented realty (AR) and mixed reality (MR) technologies. This year’s event is due to take place in just over three weeks so today the organisers have revealed who will be giving the highly anticipated keynote addresses.
Taking place from Friday 4th to Saturday 5th May, Friday’s keynote in the Dell Theater, will feature a performance by Digital Deception, aka Doug McKenzie and Ryan Oakes – an illusionary duo that combines interactive magic with technology. The Friday keynote is only open to those who purchase the industry focused 2-day Pro Pass. Speakers for the keynote are confirmed as:
- Cliff Plumer, CEO, The VOID
- Rikard Steiber, President Viveport and SVP of Virtual Reality, HTC Vive
- Gary Radburn, Director, Virtual and Augmented Reality, Dell
- Hugo Swart, Senior Director of XR Product Management, Qualcomm
- Katie Kelly, Head of Engagement, AltspaceVR / Microsoft
Saturday’s keynote will feature a live performance by Light Balance, the dance group equipped with custom-designed suits that integrate a complex light system blending expert synchronization of music, neon lighting and choreography. The Saturday keynote lineup includes:
- Walt Disney Imagineering SVP Jon Snoddy
- A world premiere from Skydance, with Chris Hewish, EVP Games & Interactive and Pablo Leon-Luna, VR Developer
- Special announcements from Intel, with Kumar Kaushik, GM, Virtual Reality/Augmented Reality
- YouTube star Vsauce3 (aka Jake Roper)
- A special announcement from Ricoh
- VR/AR expert and futurist Charlie Fink
VRLA is going all out this year. Attendees will be treated to Mezo, a 20-foot tall interactive art installation equipped with synchronized LED panels, lasers and spatial music, created in collaboration with LACMA. Then there’s Red Frog Digital’s Zombie Holomaze, a terrifying AR experience for attendees to explore while wearing a Microsoft HoloLens.
Somewhat more relaxing is Mega Particle’s cross-platform experience Virtual Poker Table, which is debuting at the event. It’ll feature live play culminating in a tournament with award-winning poker champion Phil Hellmuth. Additional expo highlights include Xtrematic’s extreme sports simulator, bHaptics’ full-body haptic suit, Bioflight’s VR medical training simulations and Phasespace’s large-scale motion capture system.