Fallout 4 VR launched for HTC Vive earlier this week and was met with significant critical acclaim. However, since launch some users have been finding issues in the videogame’s graphical effects. Bethesda Game Studios has released a patch for the videogame to counter these issues.
The third virtual reality (VR) title to come from Bethesda Game Studios this holiday season, Fallout 4 VR follows The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim VR and DOOM VFR as brave new steps for first-person adventure and shooting experiences in the medium. All three have found comfortable homes amongst the core audience, and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim VR in particular has been considered to have a significant impact on the growth of the VR audience.
Fallout 4 VR in particular has been warmly received due to the depth of the experience, however this has been marred for some people due to low resolutions and flickering effects. The patch, available now, will supposedly fix these issues.
It’s worth noting that Bethesda Game Studios has offered recommended PC specifications that exceed that traditional VR standard, suggesting that Nvidia 1070 graphics cards will offer significantly better performance.
The patch, according to Bethesda Game Studios, is available as below:
The beta has been updated to version 126.96.36.199. In addition to the below mention features, this version includes the following:
- Adjusted default application supersampling value to 1.2
- Fixed an issue where foliage would flicker while moving the headset.
We’ve identified a fix for those of you experiencing blurriness/low resolution in Fallout 4 VR. There is a beta update now available on Steam.
Please see below for the list of patch notes that reflect what’s addressed in this beta update.
- Fixed an issue that would affect the in-game resolution based on desktop resolution
- Increased default application supersampling value from 1.0 to 1.4x — To change this value up or down to adjust performance or quality, add the following to your Fallout4Custom.ini in My Games/Fallout4VR:
- — [VRDisplay]
- — fRenderTargetSizeMultiplier=< your value
- Fixed an issue where players would be unable to use the world rotate functionality while commanding companions
- Stability improvements
To opt-in to the Steam beta update please follow the instructions here:
How to access the Steam Beta:
- Log into Steam.
- Right Click on Fallout 4 VR in your Library.
- Select Properties.
- Select Betas.
- A drop down menu will appear. Select Fallout 4 VR Update 188.8.131.52
- Select OK.
- Wait for the game to update.
- When done, Fallout 4 VR Update 184.108.40.206 should appear in your Library