This Week in VR Sport: VR Sport Gets Its Own Dedicated Summit
And Dutch football gets VR coverage.
If you’re a regular VRFocus reader you’ll know two things about the weekend. That there’s sport on Saturday and there’s jobs on Sunday, and, since it is the former as opposed to the latter it’s best we kick things off by going into just what you may have missed in recent times relating to sport and virtual reality (VR) and augmented reality (AR) technology.
Dutch Football To Get More VR Coverage
If you own a Samsung Gear VR and are a fan football from the Dutch football league then we have some very good news for you.
Earlier this week it was announced in a press release that Beyond Sports would be partnering with FOX Sports Eredivisie to provide a free virtual reality (VR) app which will provide highlights of the games from the weekend – but from the player’s perspective. The app will also provide virtual pundritry in the form of specially created VR aspects from the Dutch sports show De Eretribune.
It is not the first time the pair have teamed up. Having previously broadacast footage of the match between Dutch heavy hitters Feyenoord vs PSV during last season. In what may well have proven a successful enough endeavour to allow this season’s coverage. The first effort back in February this year also contained VR analysis from football highlights show Dit was het Weekend (pictured below).
Beyond Sports are also looking to supply other android-based smartphone VR platforms, specifically the Google headsets. “At first only Dutch consumers who own a Samsung Gear VR will be able to download the app and watch the highlights.” The company notes in its press release. “However, Beyond Sports is working on developing a version that will support Google cardboards which will make sure that any high-end phone will be able to use this application.”
VRFocus will bring you more news on this as the service develops.
VR Sport Gets Its Own Event
As I mentioned earlier in the week, when it comes to VR events, meetups, workshops etc you can get to the point where you’re practically tripping over them if you’re not careful. One thing that we have not had however is an event specialising in VR and its connection to sport.
November sees San Francisco host the World Virtual & Augmented Reality Sports Innovation Summit 2017 which I can announce that VRFocus will be supporting as a Media Partner.
Taking place across November 15th and 16th 2017, the event is looking to bring together key stateholders from the world of sport around the world to discuss the applications of VR tech in a changing entertainment world. The advisory board and speakers confirmed for the event already include
Advisory Board & Speakers Include:
- David Young, Vice President of Operations, Seattle Seahawks
- Johannes Holzmuller, Head of Technology Innovation, FIFA
- William Deng, Director Media Strategy & Business Development, NFL
- Mandy Rutledge, Sports Partnerships Director, Microsoft
- Robert Alberino Jr, Vice President / Executive Producer, San Francisco 49ers
- Rod Nenner, Vice President, Washington Redskins
- Michael Davies, Senior Vice President Technical & Field Operations, FOX Sports
- Betsy Girder, Managing Director Technology Development, NASCAR
- Tom Sahara, Vice President Operations & Technology, Turner Sports
- Mounir Zok, Director of Technology & Innovation, US Olympic Committee
- Costa Kladianos, Director of Information Technology, Tennis Canada
- Alex Jacques, Director of Events, The Madison Square Garden Company
- Jesse Nunez, Director of Corporate Partnerships, Los Angeles Dodgers
Tickes are already available for the event at http://www.virtual-reality-sports-innovation.com/booking/.