This week the Sundance Institute has announced the six projects selected for its annual New Frontier Story Lab, with the aim of supporting independent artists working with the latest technologies for film, art, media and live performance.
The New Frontier Story Lab is a weeklong workshop that includes individualized story sessions, discussions about key artistic, design and technology issues, and case study presentations from experts.
“Our New Frontier Story Lab brings accomplished Fellows together to experiment with their projects as they continue to break new ground and challenge the ever-evolving medium. Interactions at the Lab empower these emerging new media creators, explore different styles of storytelling and new ways of engaging audiences through experiential art,” said Kamal Sinclair, Director of New Frontier Lab Programs in a statement.
The six participating projects are:
- Belle of the Ball – Rosie Haber and Silas Howard
- An interactive VR experience that blurs the lines between documentary and fiction created with queer and trans houseless youth in New York City,
- The Incident VR Series (Dinner Party, Eps 1) – Charlotte Stoudt and Laura Wexler
- Inspired by Rod Serling’s Twilight Zone, The Incident is a VR anthology series that dramatizes true-life unexplained mysteries.
- T3511 – Heather Dewey-Hagborg and Toshiaki Ozawa
- A post-genomic true love story of a biohacker’s growing relationship to an anonymous donor.
- Counterpoint – Griffin Frazen
- A narrative VR film about a military drone operator who develops a perversely intimate relationship with his target.
- A Ritual of Exile: Blood Speaks – Poulomi Basu and Debra Anderson
- A transmedia and WebVR project that investigates the causes and consequences of normalized violence against women perpetrated under the guise of tradition.
- Inside a Mind at War – Sutu and Charles Henden
- This project explores the banality and horrors of war and England’s battle with mental illness through hand-drawn illustrations of places based on American-Iraq War Veteran Scott England’s memories.
The Lab takes place from 17th-22nd May 2017 at the Sundance Resort in Utah. VRFocus will continue its coverage of the Sundance Institute’s New Frontier Story Lab, reporting any further announcements.