Insomniac Games’ Oculus Touch launch title The Unspoken has received its next update this week, with the studio new features and content including a Spar Mode for players.
The magical combat multiplayer’s new Spar Mode is designed as a way for players to hone their skills in a more relaxed environment. Still against other players, they battle for points in matches just this time they’re unranked, reducing the stakes somewhat. The studio’s blog explains: “We developed Spar Mode as a direct result of some great feedback from our community. We heard loud and clear that many players want a chance to learn the game in a more forgiving environment.”
“We set out to create a mode that’s inviting for players of all skill levels. A mode that helps new players close the skill gap and prepare for the ranked game. And ultimately—we hope!—a mode that gets high-ranked players into Duels faster by drawing from a larger matchmaking pool.”
That’s not all though. Insomniac has added a new location, the Midway Pier Arena, where players can battle in an amusement park. There’s also a friends leaderboard so players can see how well (or bad) they’re doing against their mates.
Additionally, a bunch of tweaks and fixes have been added to refine the experience even further, all of which can be found in the changelog below.
Checkout The Unspoken stream Insomniac Games did for the new update and for any further announcements, keep reading VRFocus.
Full changelog for The Unspoken: Arcane Update 4.0:
- Spar Mode: Battle for points in timed matches in this new unranked mode! Master the art of spellcasting with lower stakes and an all-new way to play.
- Midway Pier Arena: Duel for supremacy in a long-vacant amusement park. The concession tents glow once again with electric light.
- Tournament Cloaks: It’s time for The Unspoken Tournament at Microsoft Stores across North America! Celebrate with new crimson tournament cloaks.
- Friends Leaderboard: How do you rank against your Oculus friends? Find out here!
Tuning and Fixes
- Plate Glass: Increased the health of all Plate Glass charge tiers.
- Plate Glass: Reduced the duration of a minimum charged Plate Glass.
- Plate Glass: Reduced size of fully charged Plate Glass.
- Chaos Skull: Added speed boost immediately after being cast.
- Force Bubble: Added new behavior. Enemy spells entering the bubble now stop for the entire shield duration.
- Debris Drop: Added new behavior. All cars now travel to where the player is looking if no car is already there.
- Debris Drop: Added a Cooldown between successive volleys.
- Disc of Blades: Reduced the max speed of both a minimum charge and curved Disc of Blades.
- Disc of Blades: Increased the visibility of Disc of Blades.
- Spectral Cloak: Increased the number of Spectral Crystals formed by a minimum charged cloak.
- Spectral Cloak: Increased cloak health.
- Wild Cards: Reduced projectile speed.
- Celestial Dome: Increased the health of a minimum charged Celestial Dome.
- Celestial Dome: Reduced the duration of a minimum charged Celestial Dome.
- Vermin: Increased flight speed.
- Shatter Mine: Increased the health for both charge tiers.
- Shatter Mine: Reduced the fuse time for both charge tiers.
- Shatter Mine: Reduced the damage for both charge tiers.
- Infernal Contract: Further reduced the health penalty for signing the contract.
- Aerogramme: Increased the health of each plane.
- Dispelling Censer: Reduced the size of the dispel AOE.
- Dark Tag: Triggering Dark Tag no longer removes the other traps.
- Map Table: Renamed tab headings for clarity.
- Map Table: Added an arena selection context.
- Primal Shields: Increased the recharge delay.
- Primal Shields: Reduced shield damage taken from primals when blocked with shield center.
- Voice Chat: Enabled voice chat by default.
- Progression: Added checks to ensure that unlocked items remain accessible.