December 2016 saw newly formed studio, First Contact Entertainment release its fledgling virtual reality (VR) title, ROM: Extraction for Oculus Rift and HTC Vive. Now the team has released its very first expansion for the videogame called Overrun.
The update adds a selection of new features, primarily there’s a new weapon, the two-handed EOS-15 rifle, a new level, and a jumping suicide robot.
The EOS-15 rifle gives players an orb-launching, auto-firing weapon of destruction which can only be unlocked with a power-up token in game. While the new Overrun level not only provides more gameplay options and destructible scenery, it also continues the ROM: Extraction storyline.
All of this is complimented with improved animations, a leaderboard for the new level and a new music track, Kill Room by Delta Heavy. Check out the new mixed reality (MR) trailer for Overrun below and for the latest updates from First Contact Entertainment, keep reading VRFocus.
Full Patch Notes:
- New level – Overrun
- Audio volume adjustment
- New music – “Kill Room” by Delta Heavy
- Updated animation sets
- New Hit reaction animations
- New Fire stance animations
- EOS-15 two-handed rifle via power up token
- Robot head decapitation of jumpers
- Jumping suicide-robot AI type (beware!)
- Updated front end environment
- New leaderboard for Overrun level
- Widescreen output for better recording/streaming (when social screen is disabled)
- Improvements in framerate optimization—in ROM’s graphical settings, users can opt for MSAA instead of TAA (Temporal AA), increasing GPU frame time by 25%. MSAA bringing additional crispness to the rendering.