Since its launch in July Survios’ Raw Data on HTC Vive has proved to be a commercial success with the developer claiming last month that it had hit $1 million USD sales. Survios hasn’t been putting its feet up either releasing several updates to expand and improve the title. Today the latest update goes live and with it more new additions than ever before.
The update includes a brand new hero character, “Boss: The Street Merc”, who will join Bishop and Saija as the newest SyndiK8 operative and playable hero. He has a powerful signature weapon, the Dominator Shotgun, which gives players a two-handed, pump-action firearm.
Other features include two new missions, Thundershock and Extermination, a new enemy type – a teleporting ninja robot – as well as a new defence item, a shield station.
“One of the reasons why ‘Raw Data’ has been successful is because it has shown the capabilities of ‘Active VR’ and how a experience can be both intuitively casual yet thematically hardcore at the same time,” said Survios co-founder and CCO James Iliff. “This new update will continue to propel players further into this enticing world we’ve created, with tons of new immersive features that enable you to be the badass hero you’ve always wanted to be.”
“Virtual Reality is on the fast track to becoming the hottest new content medium,” said Survios co-founder and CEO Nathan Burba. “As limited compelling content has proved to be one of the key obstacles in breaking through to the mainstream, Survios is committed to developing a playbook for engaging VR content that will sway a mass audience in the same way Oculus did for VR hardware.”
Key additions to the update will include:
- New Mission – Thundershock
- As an immersive electrical storm surges over the Skyport, act fast to stay alive while disposing of lightning-charged enemies.
- This is the newest phase on the Skyport map, featuring heavy rain and visually stunning lightning. Lightning strikes will hurt the player and disable defences (necessitating repair by the player), but will buff up adversaries.
- New Mission – Extermination
- The Robotics Lab’s advanced–and dangerous — security system will put your dexterity to the test as players strategic abilities must come into play.
- Duck, dodge, twist and teleshift around laser patterns while trying to stay alive to avoid the deadly grids.
- New Hero – Boss The Street Merc
- A disciple of the hard streets of Neo-Shinjuku, Boss will blast robots to bits with his trusty shotgun, or bash the situation to a pulp with an iron fist.
- New Weapon – Dominator Shotgun
- Proximity Reload
- Automatically reload your shotgun just by touching to your back, getting you back in the fray even faster.
- Nade Launcher
- Pull the alternate trigger to launch up to three plasma grenades, completely obliterating enemies in your path.
- Air Juggle
- Hold back the pump to charge a flak blast, then push forward and fire to pop enemies up in the air for extra punishment
- New Special Abilities – Air Juggle, Grenade Launcher and more
- Boss can charge up his shotgun and pop a group of enemies into the air, which then allows himself or other heroes to “juggle” them by shooting or damaging them.
- Defence Update – Plasma Turret (New Model)
- New art for the deployable Plasma Turret distinguishes it from other defences.
- New Defence – Shield Station
- Feeling a bit exposed? Deploy the dome shaped holographic Shield Station for instant cover when the you-know-what hits the fan.
- The Shield Station is the first non-turret deployable defence: a static barricade that provides cover behind which players can crouch.
- New Enemy Type – Teleporting Ninja Bot
- Now that Eden’s infamous stealthing robot has received the Teleshift hardware upgrade, you’ll have to move faster than ever to take it down.
- This updated version of the stealthing enemy robot features the innovative Teleshifting mechanic available to players, making it extremely fast and difficult to hit.
- MP Leaderboards
- Co-op teams can now compete for the top spot on each level.
- Proximity Reload