It has been some time since VRFocus has reported on CINEVEO, the virtual reality (VR) application from Mind Probe Labs which first appeared as a 2014 Kickstarter. Already an app that allows video content to be viewed within the DK2 version of the Oculus Rift head-mounted display (HMD) and supporting mainstream formats including AVI, MP4 and MOV with its latest update (v1.9.1) the software has been upgraded to include v4.0 of its 4D Movie Theater cinema theme, as well as adding support for the Oculus Rift Consumer Version (CV1).
A full list of changes in the update can be found below, whilst existing users can find the up-to-date software in the CINEVEO Download Center.
– CINEVEO’s 4D Movie Theater v4.0 cinema theme is now available with Consumer Rift support and has been updated with the Oculus v1.3 SDK.
– We created an innovative new dynamic lighting technique (CINEVEO’s Stereo PFOV Lighting), which enhances the movie watching experience by creating an intense atmosphere inside the movie theater using light, colors, reflections and shadows. This effect can be seen especially well during action scenes with a lot of screen flashing (explosions, fire, etc.). The best position to see this effect is the last row of the movie theater, with the theater walls partially visible in the peripheral field of vision.
– Lots of graphics enhancements.
– Improved sense of scale, depth and immersion. Sitting in the 4D Movie Theater feels so real, it’s almost scary.
– Enhancements to multiplayer audience. CINEVEO users can now see other users from both the Android Cardboard and Oculus Rift version of CINEVEO sit around in the movie theater.
– Improved contrast and color saturation. Since the black smearing issue has been partially fixed in the consumer rift, we have decided to disable the black smearing correction. Now black is 100% black and colors appear more saturated. However, there is now a bit of black smearing in the DK2.