EVE Fanfest has become a regular highlight in the annual event calendar for fans of EVE Online and the catalogue of associated titles, not least in the past few years for the virtual reality (VR) community with the birth and subsequent growth of EVE: Valkyrie. Next year’s event, set to take place 21st – 23rd April 2016, promises to deliver even more on that front as EVE: Valkyrie takes ‘its next steps as a premier VR platform launch game’.
EVE: Valkyrie was originally unveiled at EVE Fanfest 2013 (then known as EVE VR) as a prototype VR experience. The response from EVE Online fans at the event was convincing enough for CCP Games to set their UK studio, CCP Newcastle, with the task of fleshing out the experience into a full videogame title. In subsequent years EVE: Valkyrie has undoubtedly been a highlight of the event, with EVE Fanfest 2015 hosting the first demo of the videogame on the Oculus Rift Crescent Bay prototype hardware.
According to CCP Games, EVE Fanfest 2016 will host ‘in-depth panels, presentations, PvP tournaments, exotic local excursions, game demos, round tables, developer pub crawls, concerts, parties and unprecedented access to the development team’. Direct from the company:
- An updated vision for EVE Online‘s future as well as innumerable reveals from all parts of the development team
- A larger presence for the virtual reality space dogfighting game EVE: Valkyrie and its next steps as a premier VR platform launch game
- An increased level of integration of the fans themselves with even more presentations from famous EVE player-experts
- More deals from local vendors and excursion operators so attendees can make the most of their time in the land of fire and ice
- More demos of and insight into other special projects from CCP Games
EVE Fanfest 2016 will once again be hosted at the Harpa Concert Hall and Conference Center in downtown Reykjavik, Iceland. Tickets are available to purchase now and VRFocus will keep you updated with all the latest details on the VR software coming from CCP Games.